India is an amazing country with a rich cultural history and diverse range of wonderful tourist destinations for travellers to visit. You can also meet people in different states speaking different languages and having their own culture. India is also a great place for foodies where you can enjoy a variety of mouth-watering spicy food. Before planning your travel to India, you should be aware of certain important things listed below to make your travel hassle-free and enjoyable.
1. India has a rich history and there are several monuments which are really worth seeing during your trip. Taj Mahal in Agra is one among the Seven Wonders of the World. Indian temples are popular for their splendid architecture and some of the popular temples are Brihadeeswara Temple in Thanjavur, Golden temple in Amritsar and Puri Jagannath temple.
Apart from that, there are several monuments in India with a rich history such as the Mohenjo-Daro caves, Ellora Caves, Qutab Minar, Gol Gumbaz, Red Fort, Charminar etc.
2. India is culturally diverse with people in each state having their own traditions and religious formalities. You can find grand weddings taking place in cities like Delhi where people get together and enjoy. Festivals like Holi, Dussehra and Diwali are celebrated in a grand manner which is delightful to watch.
3. India is one of the most beautiful and colourful countries in the world with different places to visit. You can enjoy the site of rolling sand dunes in the Thar Desert of Rajasthan one day and enjoy the colourful tea plantations in Munnar, Kerala. There are several sanctuaries and national reserve parks in India like the Bannerghatta national park, Kaziranga national park, Jim Corbett national park and Ranthambore National Park, Bannerghatta National park etc., where you can find a huge variety of animals to see.
4. Along with cultural diversity, India also has different languages across different states and it is always good to learn few basic words in the local language so that you can communicate easily with the people around you. Hindi is predominantly spoken in all the north Indian states and most educated people will understand English. Hence, if you learn some basic words in Hindi, it can be helpful during your travel. India has 29 states and more than 1600 languages and dialects are spoken by Indians living in different regions of the country.
5. Food is amazing in India and you can taste some of the popular Indian recipes like the spicy Hyderabadi biriyani, Punjabi style Dal Makhni, Chicken Tikka, Palak Paneer, Malai Kofta, Samosa, Chaat items and many other delicacies. You should always have these authentic dishes in standard restaurants and avoid street food.
6. If you are travelling from any of the western countries, you will find India is a lot cheaper in terms of food and accommodation. You can get rooms in decent hotels for around 3000 rupees, and public transport is also cheaper. You should always remember to bargain when you are shopping as you can negotiate and get very good discounts.
7. Traffic is heavy in the Indian cities and you should plan your itinerary and route properly in order to cover the maximum places. Uber and Ola are popular ride-hailing options available, but if you have the option of taking a local train or a metro, you should always prefer that to avoid traffic.
8. Since India is a large nation, it experiences diverse weather conditions across different states. Hence, you should plan your travel based on the climatic conditions whether you are travelling to the cold regions in the Western Himalayas like Leh Ladakh, Shimla, Nainital, Darjeeling or places with warm weather like Rajasthan, Mumbai, Hampi, Kerala, Goa, etc.
9. In India, Gambling is illegal in most of the states. So, if you’re a person who loves to gamble, there are only a few states like Goa where gambling is legal and traditional casinos are available. But it’s very hard to find a casino resort in other Indian states. So, if you love to gamble and you’re planning to visit India, you have to switch to online casinos.
10. Indians like to wear traditional clothes and they have a conservative culture similar to other Southeast Asian countries and hence you should learn to dress according to the place you are travelling. You should dress modestly when travelling to certain tourist spots like temples, mosques and other holy places. You can see Indian women wearing beautiful and colourful sarees which is their traditional attire.
These are some useful tips for travellers who are visiting India for the first time.